What were Territorials?
In peace time territorial soldiers were part-time soldiers who remained in normal civilian life but did weekly drill at the local Drill Hall and attended an annual camp. They were intended for Home Defence in times of emergency.
Image opposite: Halifax Drill Hall on Prescott Street.
Drill Halls were not renowned for their aesthetic beauty but for some reason the one on Prescott Street was relatively ornate. The designer was the cornish architect, Richard Coad (1825-1900). On first sight his connection with Halifax is something of a mystery but for a while he worked as an assistant to Sir George Gilbert Scott the architect of the magnificent All Soul’s Church on Haley Hill.
The building was converted to apartments in 1998
Battle Honours board to the 4th and Reserve 4th Battalion West Riding Regiment.
This has been subsequently moved to the Minster
Image: David Glover